- We have researched and realized that there are many types of games that have been forgotten. They are not widely used in games, from ancient games to modern games. So in today's article, we will learn about 9 rare game genres. Maybe you will find something appropriate for your game project.
- 1. Round-Based Tactics
- These are tactical games combined with unique upgrade features. In this type of game, you will have a base and it will give you the exciting upgrade features.
- After the battles, you will return to the base and upgrade the units with new equipment. Your units will become stronger, their experience and skills will also increase over time. Therefore, they will become increasingly valuable and when you lose a unit, you will feel extremely regret.
- This type of game is quite rare, and only a few games developed under it. XCOM is set to be a science fiction world, while Invisible Inc is about spycraft.
- You Also Might Like: strike force heroes 3 unblocked games 66
- Link: http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/200510/
- Invisible Inc.Link: https://www.kleientertainment.com/games/invisible-inc
- Jagged Alliance. Link: https://www.gog.com/game/jagged_alliance
2. Guns and Conversation
- Mass Effect and Deus Ex are the games that have successfully applied this type of game. It's a unique combination of dialogues and shooting scenes. Of course, the game also has the full features of a RPG shooter. However, this combination is something new and interesting.
- When playing these games, you can talk to NPCs. These are usually conversations about the tasks they give you. In addition, you will have links to decide whether you agree to the task or not. Sometimes, you just talk and everything will be resolved smoothly and safely.
- Mass Effect. Link:http://masseffect.bioware.com/
- Deus Ex. Link:https://www.deusex.com/
- Alpha Protocol. Link:http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/34010/
- Escape from Butcher Bay. Link:http://riddick.wikia.com/wiki/Escape_from_Butcher_Bay
3. Quiz Games
- When you experience Do You Know Jack, you will laugh throughout the game. There are many questions in this game and they are very funny (even their design makes you laugh).
- The game combines fun elements with other features and creates a unique game. You can play alongside 3 of your friends on the same computer. You can give a question to other players and their task is to give the answer. Interaction is emphasized and it creates excitement.
- However, this game is not just "answer this". Sometimes, you will encounter really difficult challenges. Typically the question asks you to speak out the names of 30 characters in Star Trek or Star Wars, and come up with time pressure.
- You Don't Know Jack.Link:https://jackboxgames.com/project/ydkj-classic-bundle/
4. Meditative Games
- Phyta is a great game. In Phyta, your task is to control a tree. It's a nice and slow time, you will feel relaxed with the background music. There will be a few ghosts appearing to "greet" you, but they are harmless. The whole game is a quiet, peaceful story.
- Another game is Mountain. Like Phyta, Mountain is also developed with very simple gameplay, it does not have many game features. All that the game gives you is a mountain, and nothing else. Over time, you will admire the mountain through the changing seasons of the year.
5. Element Combination Games
- The Doodle God begins with three basic elements: Fire, Water and Earth. You will combine two elements and they will create a new element. With this game you can create more than 100 elements with rare elements in the universe.
- Little Inferno is similar to The Doodle God. You will burn the toys with a fireplace. Some toys will create special effects, such as green fire. The game challenges you with "combo". Each combo is a puzzle and you can only solve them by picking the right toys and burning them.
- Little Inferno. Link:http://tomorrowcorporation.com/littleinferno
- Doodle God. Link:http://doodlegod.com/games/doodle-god/#all
- There are very few games that apply this style, so I temporarily call it Dyson-Like. Why? Because Dyson (now Eufloria) is one of the typical games for this style. These games are centered on the base. In Eufloria and Galcon Fusion, it is the planet; In Oil Rush, it is oil derricks. You can own multiple base in these games.
- In Eufloria you will build your own planet. You can decide how many "warriors" you send to another planet. You will have to pay attention to the distance factor. The longer the distance, the longer it will take to travel. And you also have to decide on the number of "warriors" that you use to attack other players. Besides, you also have to build a solid defense system for your planet to make sure you can stop any surprise attack by the enemy.
- Eufloria (aka Dyson).Link:http://www.eufloria-game.com/
- Galcon Fusion.Link:https://www.galcon.com/fusion/
- Oil Rush.Link:http://oilrush-game.com/
7. Serious Military Strategy Game
- Combat Mission Shock Force impresses with its mission system. Each task will be different challenges for the player. Example: When you choose NATO, you must occupy some base in the game. However, when you play on the other side, your task is to try to survive and not lose too many units.
- Another great feature is the "unit visibility". In this game, there will be some units that can see the location of the enemy. Therefore, you need to create these units and arrange them in reasonable positions to ensure communication between all your units. Without these special units, you will not be able to see the location of the enemy.
- Combat Mission Shock Force.Link:http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=31&Itemid=252
8. Dystopian Bloodsport
- Are you tired of the bloody shooting games? Experience Monday Night Combat and you will see a colorful shooter. It will bring you a new exciting feeling. Besides, the game also has some fun features that make you laugh.
- Unreal Tournament offers players a lot of different arena. The game still has the science fiction map but you will also feel excited playing on Egyptian maps, grungy streets or medieval Japanese maps ...
- Frozen Cortex.Link:http://www.frozencortex.com/
- Unreal Tournament.Link:https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/
- Monday Night Combat.Link:http://store.steampowered.com/app/63200/Monday_Night_Combat/
9. Firefighting Games
- A game genre about fires. In Jones On Fire, you must run continuously through a burning forest and try to save the cats that are trapped in it.
- Firefighters 2014 is developed with more features. You must direct firefighters and fire trucks to the location of the fire. Different fires require different units to extinguish it.
- Firefighters 2014.Link:http://www.firefighters-the-simulation.com/index-en.html
While today's games are quite similar in gameplay, applying a rare genre to your game will break this saturation and create a unique gameplay. Take a look at these nine rare game genres and apply them to your project.